It’s WORLD AUTISM AWARENESS DAY today ya’ll and you know I’m all rainbowed up so I wanna share some important autism info!!!
1. People that have autism are still people. They aren’t just a label or a debate on Facebook.
2. People with autism are very capable of empathy, emotions, affection, and humor. They may not show it the same way you do, or maybe they will…everyone is different and no two people with autism are exactly the same.
3. EVERYONE NEEDS TO KNOW ABOUT WANDERING!!! Individuals on the spectrum MAY be wanderers which can be VERY dangerous. Keep your eyes open in your neighborhoods!!
4. MANY children with autism are drawn to water and some of them don’t sense danger. EVERYONE should know this.
5. Someone with autism is more comfortable in places that are familiar. Routine is very important.
6. Someone with autism may not respond to their name and may not seem to be interested in what you have to say. They are typically not being rude or mean, their brain and body is just running differently than yours. It’s not usually an intentional thing.
7. Just because someone has autism it doesn’t mean they don’t WANT to be social. A lot of times they just don’t know how and that can be misinterpreted as being standoffish. A lot of people just don’t have the social skills.
8. Individuals that have autism sometimes suffer from “social hangover” and need time to recharge after engaging in social activities.
9. The “new” numbers,1 in 68 are actually from 2002 so today’s actual numbers are higher, just another reason why EVERYONE needs to understand autism.
10. Autism is a large spectrum, some individuals talk, some don’t, some need more help than others, etc.. I encourage you to google autism today and try to get a better understanding of the spectrum. There are lots of differences and also lots of common threads in our community but as the saying goes, “If you’ve met one person with autism, you’ve met ONE person with autism.”
I’ll be sharing info all through April for awareness month so please check back in!!